I’m glad it’s not just me: WordPress’s Gutenberg editor is very nice, but it has an autosave feature which gets stuck regularly.
Very annoying. If you browse away, you lose changes. You can’t do a conventional Save Draft while the autosave is stuck.
It’s not constant, so I’m not really sure how to fix it. But there are a couple of workarounds.
1. Noted on this thread: add this to wp.config:
(that’s a full day, so it should rarely be a problem then)
2. This method seems to work for me:
- Press Ctrl-A twice, to highlight the entire post text
- Ctrl-C to copy it to the clipboard
- Paste it into a text editor. You’ll see the WordPress markup, which shows <!– wp:paragraph –> at the start of each paragraph.
- Jump out of the draft. Ignore the warning about losing your work
- Go back into it. If it’s like what happens with mine, anything since the previously successful draft save will have been lost
- Ctrl-A twice to highlight the entire post text, then Delete it all
- Then Paste from your copy in the text editor. The entire post should be back, including references to articles
Okay that’s a lot of steps, but for an occasional problem, seems like a reasonable workaround, especially if fiddling with the wp.config isn’t your thing.